Monday, April 28, 2008

OMFG! GET OVER IT!

I really don't see why everyone is freaking out about Gossip Girls new ad "OMFG."  Come on people, when was the last time you walked down the street and DIDN'T hear the F bomb?  I'm guessing it probably dates back to a few years ago.  And besides, lets be honest here - if the campaign was simply "OMG" people wouldn't notice.  And last time I checked... oh ya... produces WANTED their shows to get noticed.
Maybe I'm overreacting in thinking this isn't a BFD, but that's the type of content that sells these days.  It may be sad, but the truth sometime stings.  Besides, little girls who find this slogan offensive should not be watching the show anyway.  Now I realize this cannot be controlled, but hey if they are watching the show, seeing or hearing those four words is not going to be a shock.
Maybe it's because I'm older, but the last time I said OMFG I was at dinner with my mom and she laughed... I guess she was happy I didn't actually let the F word slip pass my lips... but she definitely found today's new abbreviations entertaining.  I'll agree that it is somewhat unfortunate that our culture has resulted to such extreme forms of advertising, it really isn't fair to cast blame on the agencies.  Rather, it is our own faults that we have let our culture develop into such a derogatory state.  It's completely acceptable for girls to call each other sluts and bitches as a compliment, and guys are praised for how many girls they sleep with in a month.  Media is just putting what we do behind closed doors on a screen... it's not their fault we've done a great job of supplying them with an unlimited amount of material. 
If parents are so concerned about their children's sensitivity, they need to take a peek between the blinds and observe the neighbors and even their own children to catch a glimpse of what reality has evolved into.
It might be shocking, but really we have no one to blame but ourselves.  More to Norway if you want a more sheltered life.

No comments: