Thursday, May 1, 2008

I love Mom's boobs




Since when did it become the norm for almost everyone in our society to succumb to the pressure of going under the knife for cosmetic surgery?  There's a huge difference between getting plastic surgery to fix a broken nose, or even out an injured person's entire body.  But having a knife wielded around your face for the sake of making your nose thinner, your boobs bigger, and your ass tighter has come to be the newly accepted thing.
Things have even go so far now as to prep children for when Mommy comes home with watermelons under her shirt instead of blueberries.  I mean if my mom waltzed in the house flaunting a chest 10 lbs heavier than a few days ago I would freak out.  Even today... ya, I would still freak out.  Never fear - in Michael Salzhauer's new book "My Beautiful Mommy" children are prepared for the new arrival of mom and the twins, some lipo, anew nose, and maybe even a tummy tuck.
So I get the whole idea of this surgeon just wanting to sell more money and hopefully rack up a few more million doing work on moms who love his book, but really?  Some children who's moms are getting these surgeries aren't even old enough to read.  I for one would be freaked out if when I was a kid my mom came in to read me a book about getting some saline solution injected in her, and then the next day I can't even lay on the couch with her because her chest took over the love seat.  Not to mention - children don't know the first thing about surgical enhancements.  They notice it happened, but do children really want to know (or should they) what really happened to Mommy in those few hours she was gone last Friday?
Parents should be responsible enough to explain to their children what they are doing to themselves before taking the final step.  If parents need a book to explain to their children the details of plastic surgery, maybe they are the ones who need a book about what they are doing to themselves since they obviously cannot explain it to their children in their own words!

No comments: