Thursday, January 17, 2008

Born to be creative?

Honestly, I've never thought of myself as a creative person.  I mean, I give myself credit for the stories I write in the Daily Campus - but that's just reporting sports.  Maybe it's a creative way of telling what happened in the last SMU women's basketball game... but maybe it's just a basic recap.  However, looking back though, I think I USED TO be creative - back when I was a child.
I loved coloring, painting pottery, making spaghetti necklaces, even painting designs on my nails with every color of the rainbow.  As a child with a wild imagination, everything was MY idea, MY creation... a reflection of MY creativity. But what happened to my creativity as I grew up?
In school, we're taught to color inside the lines, walk instead of run, follow the rules, and grow up to get a good job that makes Mom and Dad happy. I blame my stifled creativity on this.  As I grew up, I was expected to be nothing short of perfect.  The problem came when I didn't know how to "be perfect" while still living a creative lifestyle.  I could take the easy road and blame my parents, but now I realize it is no one else's fault but my own.  Being in college, I've learned that people appreciate your work for what it is.  Not what it should be. You're rewarded for your own ideas rather than someone you read about online.  Having this world re-opened to me has allowed me reach a new chapter in my life that allows me to invent new ideas, draw a new picture, and finally let my creative gear kick back into action.
Now hopefully with my new mind set I can handle all the new creative ideas I let emerge :)

No comments: