Sunday, January 27, 2008

What's the real message here?



When
I first saw this ad I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh, or be shocked.  I mean, of course it's funny, but upon realizing that was an actual ad for a German eyeglass company, my opinion changed.  How would we react in the U.S. if we saw an ad like that on our local station?  I think it's safe to assume the public would be outraged.  The shock and awe ads do seem to work though, so why can't we advertise like this in our country?  Is it because we have more taste and decency?  I think the Europeans are more free spirited than the Americans, but we still know how to have our fun - we just do it in a more tasteful manner.  What also struck me about this ad was the question, "Who is the target audience?"  I highly doubt the company was going after the older generation.  But isn't it the older crowd (like my grandmother) who has the most trouble seeing?  I would be terrified if this ad led Grandma into the eye doctor for a sexy pair of new frames.  This ad, in my opinion, was targeting more of my generation.  Apparently guys, you'll get more action if your girl gets new glasses.  The message I take away from this ad is - this company could very well save your sex life.  It's funny, but let's keep these ads over seas.  My little brother doesn't need the idea instilled in this head that his crush needs glasses to lead to a more active sex life.

No comments: