Monday, March 24, 2008

Finding a spark

It's official. I am 100% sure I want to be a journalist after going to the NCAA Women's Basketbal Tournament.  I know Griffin will cringe as he reads this, but hey, at least I've found my passion :)
Not only did I get experience first hand how the game is set up, but I also got a behind the scenes look at the entire production stages that makes everything possible.
If you didn't know, the SMU women's basketball team made it to the first round of the tournament after defeating UTEP (if you want to see how they did - check the article out at www.smudailycampus.com) Back to my point though - 
Being surrounded by a group of professionals from ESPN, CBS Sports, and every other print and broadcast organization imaginable was surreal. My press desk for the game was stationed right above the ESPN cameras so I even got to see the anchors write their notes, while the print people were on my left and right. Seeing all the talent come together made me realize what an exciting and influential field I want to work in. People were constantly asking writers and reporters for updates from other games around the country, and it was even more impressive that men were asking a woman about her opinion about No.1 Tennessee.
It was such an adrenaline rush to get the experience of covering a national event for the school, and an experience I will remember and reflect on for the rest of my career.

No comments: