Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Does evil have a face?

I have never really thought about what I consider to be truly evil.  I mean I've called other girls evil for dating the hot guy in a class, or spreading a rumor about me, but by no means do I think they are really evil.
The first thing that came to my mind when I heard the word evil was red eyes.  I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I'm going to go with something along the lines of a childhood memory.  I remember watching The Lion King and thinking Scar was evil for killing his brother.  There weren't any red eyes associated with this, but those coyotes sent chills down my spine.  Or maybe it was the cackling laugh they let out every time they thought of a new destructive plan.
As I write this, I think someone is evil if they think or act upon hurting a person, either physically or emotionally.  Someone is evil if they have intentions of harming someone simply to get pleasure out of it.  Someone is evil if they seek joy in seeing someone suffer.
Now is the girl sending glances to your boyfriend evil?  No, she's just rude... and inconsiderate... and jealous... and well, a bitch.  But definitely not evil - she can't hurt you from across the bar.

No comments: