Sunday, February 17, 2008

I need to vent


So maybe this isn't the spot to vent my anger, but I'm going to try and be constructive in my criticism.  I spent the weekend at the National Cheerleaders Association National All-Star Competition at the Coliseum and was stunned at the number of "fans" who did not constitute cheerleading as a sport. Even worse, they automatically assumed all men were gay.
Watch this video and tell me you wouldn't want to be one of those buff guys tossing and flipping tones hotties through the hair, while getting a peak up their barely-there skirt before you catch them around their waist.
So this video is a college routine from when I competed in Daytona, Florida last year, but it is by no means short of what any other cheerleader is capable of.
Part of being creative is having an open mind, but how can people who call themselves supported of cheerleader stereotype these athletes as non-athletes, and then men as gay, and women as too skinny and dizty?  If you ask me, these routines and tricks you see on the screen are pretty damn creative.  Could the average Joe come up with the idea to backflip a girl into one guy's hand, and have her flip down only to twist back up in an upside down handstand?  I doubt it.
This sport is one of the most creative outlets I've experienced.  From the age of four I've been through classes, competitions, and have now taken over the coaching side, and let me tell you, some of my most creative ideas have been put into this sport.
Everyone needs to find their niche, and while I one day want mine to be advertising - I think this will do for now.  As for the rest of you, open your minds to more than your favorite sport! I'll bet you end up surprised at what you discover.

No comments: